Rode Radio Microphone, the Rodelink Filmmaker
This radio microphne kit offers a good sounding digital radio mic link at a budget price. although we don;t think the range is that huge, it’s good for interviews and times when you can follow someone around fairly closely. Despite the specs below claiming 100 metres, our testing shows you should stay within 20 metres line-of-sight without too many bodies getting in the way to be sure of a good signal, especially in an area with lots of other wi-fi devices.
The upside of digital is great sound. The downside is if the signal falls below the threshold there is simply no sound at all so you get a drop-out. So while an analogue mic like the Sennheiser EW-100 will get noisier as the signal gets fainter, this one simply goes from perfect to full-stop dead.
The actual packs are a bit chunkier than the Sennheiser as well so may be a bit harder to conceal on the talent.
The manufacturer’s specs:
- Increased range for audio sensitivity RØDELink represents the next generation of digital wireless systems.
- Using a series II 2.4GHz digital transmission with 128-bit encryption, it is able to constantly monitor and hop between frequencies to maintain the strongest possible signal level at a range of up to 100 metres (over 100 yards).
- The RØDELink Filmmaker Kit provides everything you need to start shooting video wirelessly, including a receiver, transmitter and broadcast-grade lavalier microphone.
- The receiver (RX-CAM) features an OLED display with information on level, battery status (receiver and transmitter), mute and channel selection.
- The unit can be mounted on a standard camera shoe mount, 3/8″ thread or belt-clip, and for added versatility the shoe mount can be located in one of two positions.
- The lightweight transmitter (TX-BELT) can be fitted to a belt or clothing and features a locking thread to ensure the microphone connection is as secure as possible.
- RØDE’s omnidirectional Lavalier microphone is included in the kit to provide the highest possible audio reproduction quality.